fairgrovelions.org

Fair Grove Lions Club

       
 

Home
FG Lions History
Fish Fry
Steak Dinner
White Cane Fund
Recycle for Sight
Everybody's Day
Christmas Parade
Gun Give Away
Vision Van
Nat. Convention
Int. Convention
BINGO
Candy Day
Elvis
Links
Newsletter
Bylaws
Membership
Officers
Committees
VIP's
Lions Song
What Lions Do
Fair Grove Lions History


Fair Grove Lions Club History: Did You Know?
compiled by Gordon and Dixie McAdams

Fair Grove Lions Club was chartered in January, 1950, and sponsored by the Thomasville Lions Club. From 1950 until 1956, the members met at Fair Grove United Methodist Church and later at Fair Grove High Schoolís cafeteria. The first president was Tom Kearns, serving from January to June, 1950. Willie Welborn served two years as president from July, 1950 until June, 1952. While serving as president Willie was asked to attend the International Convention in Mexico City. The club gave him $100 to cover his expenses. Being raised in Thomasville, Willie had never traveled to a foreign country so this was a new experience for him. Traveling with Lion E. O. Lane, they spent five days and four nights. Upon checking out of the hotel, they were told their total bill for 2 rooms was $28!

In 1956, while Clyde Jones was serving as president the existing Fair Grove Lions club house was built. Clyde Jones, Stokes Hepler, Cliff Everhart, Dalton Fritts and Cleo Fritts, all Lions themselves, were instrumental in its construction.

The Fair Grove Lions Club became well known around the community for its participation in the Fair Grove Follies which was held at the Fair Grove High School Auditorium from 1952 until 1976. Many people in the community took part in the Follies as well as Fair Grove Lions Club members. Lion Willie Welborn served as District Governor in 1955-1956. During his term, Lion Willie helped start 8 new Lions Clubs. He remains active in the club and the district today. In 2000, Fair Grove Lions Club opened the door allowing women to join. Margaret Cline, Dixie McAdams and Patricia Carroll were the first three ladies to be installed. Since that time, seven other ladies have joined the club. Lion Gordon McAdams served as District Governor in 2008-2009. During that time, District 31-E grew as Mecklenberg and Gaston counties were welcomed into the district, increasing the number of clubs from 48 to 64.

Some of the community projects supported by Fair Grove Lions Club are The Fair Grove Family Resource Center and The Thomasville Christmas Parade. Annually, the club hosts a fish fry for all VIPís in Davidson County. For many years Fair Grove Lions Club sponsored a local baseball team and will once again resume supporting a team in 2011.

 

NEWS
Like us on
facebook
 

 

UPDATES
View  past parade winners
at the
Parade Winners
page
.

Plus the
2014
Parade Video
is on
YouTube

Check out
2015
Grand Marshal
Julie Grant


2015
Parade Video
Coming
Soon

 

 

 

     
   

Fair Grove Lions Club       Thomasville, North Carolina